The CAIâ€™s program supports artists as they develop new projects and ideas in our New England woodland setting, mentored by Yin Peet and Viktor Lois, two artists well connected to the international network.
We are located about 25 miles from Boston, and about 200 miles from New York City. As a balance to time spent at THE QUARRY, the resident artist can also get access to lodging at our affiliate organization, The Brooklyn Artists Studio, when visiting New York.
All artists are welcome, we are particularly well suited sculptors, writers, multidisciplinary artists, and musicians. Â The longer term (3 month and up) Residency Artists will be given a solo show in CAI GalleryÂ at the end of their residency; all Residency Artists can present their work throughout their residency period whenever appropriate.
CAIâ€™s indoor facility is housed inÂ a 7,000 square foot multi-purpose studio building, which includes two galleries, three single-artist’s rooms, Â an indoor workshop, performance/multi purpose hall, and our outdoor facility is 12 acres of working space and park land. We are equipped with industrial power and heavy-duty machinery, and of course, internet access. Multi-media artists must provide their own video and computer equipment for multimedia projects.
THE QUARRY is surrounded by woodlands in which artists connect with the unique beauty and changing seasons of New England. We are located on the 12 acres former granite quarry site, with a 1.5-acre pond which serves as a recreational and meeting place. Our site is surrounded by nearly 100 acres of a beautifully Â trailed Town Forest and recreation park that offers concerts and cultural activities regularly. Â We run five programs, they are symbiotic; none can stand alone without benefiting from the others. We encourage our Residency Artists to joinÂ these programs, as well as other workshops or classes that are offered during their residency. CAI is a cooperating institution of Massachusetts College of Art & Design (MassArt). Resident artists are eligible to a 20% discount on the MassArt accredited courses tuition.
Travel and Transportation
There is frequent train service from Acton to Boston, and inexpensive bus service from Boston to New York City. By car, Boston is 45 minutes away, and New York City is about four hours. We provide bicycles for artists to get to the Acton train station (3 miles from our art ground), vehicle transportation can be arranged as needed. Occasionally group trips to Boston and New York City are offered.
CAI’s Artist-in-Residency program operates all year round for writers and May to December for visual artists.
Residency fees are $1,500/monthÂ for the following services: ($2,500 including food)
- HOUSING: private bedroom, wireless Internet, shared bathroom, office, living room, kitchen, laundry facility
- STUDIO: shared
- FACILITIES: choice of outdoor working locations, heavy equipment with operator available when needed
- MATERIALS: some materials such as granite, wood, and recycled metals are available to resident artists
- EXHIBITION: will be held whenever possible (a solo show can be arranged)
- TRANSPORTATION: pick up and deliver to/fro Boston Logan Airport at the time of arrival/departure.
Resident Artist’s Responsibilities
- Travel expenses (local and international) including air ticket
- Provide own medical Insurance
- Sign a liability waiver form
- Provide own food and all consumables (living and art) expenses
- Keep self living space clean and restore working spaces to their original condition at the end of residency
- Comply with CAIâ€™s rules and share the grounds and facilities with CAIâ€™s scheduled events
Email the following to: email@example.com
- BIOGRAPHY (brief, maximum 2 pages)
- WORK SAMPLES: visual artists 3 digital photos; time-based artists a 3-minute video
Applications are reviewed all year round.